With another year of FIT Camp done and dusted, I thought I’d share some highlights so that you can join me in giving thanks to God.
1) Perfect weather for a camp - even with the threatening rain clouds clearing just as we started one activity.
2) We have an amazing God who we can know, who has made himself known to us and who is present and active in the world he made. Give thanks that Tom helped us understand our Triune God better and more importantly, to reflect on the nature of our own relationship with our loving God through God the Son, Jesus.
3) Our amazing FIT band!!!! The band was led by Marc Betbeder-Matibet, but the rest of the band members were from Fuel and Ignite. Did I mention they were amazing?!
4) The FIT 2017 memory verse song was amazing too – I think it will take a while to shake this one!
5) The many discussions that flowed out of our talks – it was so encouraging to see our youth grappling with the complexities of our God and what it means for us to honour him in our everyday lives.
6) Fireside! Each night we ended the day with a half-hour session by the campfire to sing, share highlights, pray together and hear testimonies.
7) Fireside leaders! Year 12s Tim Semsarian and Zoe Wrench prepared and led these sessions with great maturity – such an encouragement to see God’s people serving one another.
8) Our (leaderless) Loud Times and Prayer Groups. In many ways these are my ultimate highlight of camp. Seeing our youth gathering together in small groups and reading the Bible and praying each day warms my heart. Even more so, seeing our Yr 7s sitting with Yr 12s (and everyone in between too!) discussing God’s word and applying it to their lives is something very special.
9) The FIT campers. Respectful, punctual, helpful, servant-hearted and a delight to share 4 days away with.
10) Our youth leaders. They worked so hard in the lead up to camp. They worked so hard on camp. In particular, be thankful for the way leaders made a consistent and conscious effort to invest heavily in relationships with their small groups. They really did make camp all about their small group members growing in Christian maturity.
Please take the time to join with me in giving thanks to God for the way he has blessed us on this camp. Please pray that the things we learned will continue to challenge us as we seek to honour God. Pray for the leaders’ recovery (and campers’) after camp! Pray for the leadership team as we debrief and begin to plan for next year.